While I’m not a church goer, I have to admit that I do love passing by those that take the time to put a truly inspiration slogan on their welcome sign for all those driving by to see. Sometimes I see ones that bring a great smile on my face or even a joyful laugh. Other times I have quite honestly just rolled my eyes. Irregardless, I decided to pool some of them together that I felt were noteworthy and have touched my own life. Here they are in no particular order:
1. A fellow who says it can’t be done is likely to be interrupted by someone doing it.
2. A half truth is a whole lie.
3. A person is never so empty as when he is full of self.
4. Could God nominate you for Best Actor or Actress?
5. aonvatlis – Let God unscramble your life.
6. Don’t let the littleness in others bring out the littleness in you.
7. Don’t tell God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is.
8. Forbidden fruit creates many jams.
9. God can turn your world of broken pieces into many other peaces.
10. God has way more savings than Walmart.
11. God wants spiritual fruit not religious nuts.
12. Honk if you love God, text it if you want to meet God now.
13. If God brought you to it, God will bring you through it.
14. If your mouth is out of order, so is your life.
15. Ipad? Iphone? Ipod? Try Ipray.
16. Pointing out faults? Look in the mirror and not through a telescope.
17. Moses was once a basket case too.
18. Most things wrong in your life started by forgetting what things were right.
19. People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.
20. Screaming “Oh God! Oh God!” in bed really isn’t quite the same thing as praying.
21. Thank God for those dirty dishes, at least you have food to eat.
22. Try God, not Google for the real answers you’re seeking.
23. What you thought was coincidence may have been a God incident.
24. When you feel down to nothing, God is really just up to something.
25. You have one new friend request. God Accept/Deny.
While those are just some of the many church slogans that I have seen on their signs and been inspired by, there are many others I’ve also seen along the way that have upset me too. Sometimes they are slanted with hate and propaganda. And generally it’s those types of signs that make me cringe or roll my eyes. One example of a negative church sign I found was “Obama Osama, Humm, Are they brothers?” Another was: “Jews killed Jesus”. And even worse, look at this one: “Santa Klaus never died for anyone”. With free speech, I guess things like this are expected but I know that God is all about unconditional love and definitely not about creating bias like this.
Regardless, I’m just grateful for the many church signs though that are truly about unconditional love and inspiration. It’s my hope that all churches will put slogans on their welcome signs that are not slanted towards one particular point of view but are all encompassing and all loving. I would like to end this article with my own slogan that I’d like to see on a church sign someday. I hope you enjoy it…
“Is your life a puzzle? Let God put the pieces together…”
Peace, love, light, and joy,
Andrew Arthur Dawson